I have picked the segment for people who live in bigger or
smaller cities.
In my interviews, I have found that in smaller cities all around
the US, they are less likely to have learned a second language. They are also
less likely to have grown up with different languages around them. When
interviewing people who grew up in bigger cities like Orlando, Miami, or Tampa,
they said that at the least they are familiar with another language other than English.
If not familiar, they said they grew up with a second language or was taught it
by either their family or in school. Especially for students who grew up in
Miami, where Spanish is a very popular language.
Based on my interviews, I have found that catering my product more
to smaller cities can benefit kids as they are more secluded from a melting pot
of languages. It also taught me that even with bigger cities, I can still
market my product to them. Even though they have a greater advantage of having
different languages around them, they can still have the opportunity to learn
different languages or more about the prominent languages around them.
Hey Erika, I think your findings definitely make sense to me. Bigger cities seem to be more urban and therefor involve more businesses and business people. These people are more diverse and more likely to know more than one language. Interviewing these people seems to have been very beneficial for your process. Next, perhaps interviewing people of different ethnic or racial backgrounds would be a way to go.
ReplyDeleteHey Erika,
ReplyDeleteI think you mentioned a very important point. I think the reason why smaller cities are less likely to speak more languages is because they are less diverse and have less situations where they need to speak different languages. You will not speak more different languages in a small city in Alabama than in New York for example. The environment is key for the language diversity.
Hey Erika,
ReplyDeleteYou have discovered a very valid point considering that people in larger cities are more likely to be immigrants that know a second language. Your product however should be marketed everywhere because I think knowing the second language could be more useful in a bigger city because there would be more people to communicate with you.